Sunday, May 20, 2012

My Homemade Salsa

A little over a year ago I went to a small group meeting, and someone brought the most delicious salsa!  I couldn't stop eating it!  Before she left that evening, I asked for the recipe!  I personally do not like the chunky salsas that are sold in stores.  I LOVE the restaurant style salsa, however... this can be incredibly difficult to find!  I worked on the recipe until I had it just the way I like it, and I make it as often as I can!

Most recently, I made it for my new small group, and it was a hit!  I have been asked by numerous people for my recipe, so I thought I would share it... why keep the goodness to myself, right?!?!






Jessica's Salsa Recipe
NOTES - 
  • I use Classico spagetti sauce, and I collect the jars!  They are GREAT for storing salsa, as they are mason jars!!!  Using plastic containers to store salsa will create STINKY containers!
  • I also make 2 batches of salsa at a time, because the recipe calls for 1/2 of an onion.  I decided that using the whole onion and making 2 batches if the best solution for myself.  The recipe below is for a single batch.  The good part about making a double batch is you can change the heat and create a mild and hot salsa!
  • I have also learned that putting the tomatoes in 1st makes a much more "liquid" salsa!

Ingredients
1 (28oz) Can of Whole Peeled Tomatoes    
3 Cloves of Garlic 
   (I used the prepared minced garlic that comes in a jar... 1/2 teaspoon = 1 Clove)
1 Lime    
1/2 Lemon
1/2 White Onion
2 Jalapenos
1/2 Tbspn Creole Seasoning
   (I use Tony Cachere's Creole Seasoning... they sell the GIANT shaker at WalMart)
Cilantro

Directions
Allow tomatoes to drain in a colander, set aside.
Place onion into food processor.  Cut jalapenos (I remove the seeds and membranes, but if you prefer a hotter salsa, leave them in) and add to processor.  Squeeze lime and lemon (beware of seeds) and add to processor.  Add the tomatoes, garlic, and creole seasoning.  Add cilantro to taste, I use enough to cover the top of the ingredients in the processor!  Blend to desired consistency, and enjoy!

 - Jessica

2 comments: