Saturday, February 25, 2012

"You can have roots & wings..."


Since before Brady made his arrival, I have been wanting to make a trip to Greensboro.  I worked it out with mom to ride back and forth with her, so that I wouldnt have to make the first trip back with 2 kids... ALONE!  She came up for Abbie's birthday party and stayed until Monday.  Monday morning we packed up the car, and headed to Greensboro.  The trip down was actually timed perfect and went SO SMOOTH!  I couldn't have asked for an easier car ride, but the rest of the trip wasn't quite as awesome. 
After picking up the "extra car" from Mom & Scott's, I headed to my dad's house.  We were planning to stay with him for the week, and it was approaching bed time fast!  We went to dinner at one of my favorite little restaurants in Greensboro, IPD Eatery!  Abbie was beginning to fall apart, so we headed back and got her ready for bed as quickly as possible.  She went to sleep with ease, but staying in the bed, seemed like a pipe dream! We blew up a twin size air mattress and put her on it in the middle of an empty room!  It was only about 4 inches off the ground, but when I went in to check on Abbie, she and her blankie had rolled off the mattress and clear across the room!
Tuesday morning we headed to visit friends!  Abbie got to play with Reagan, Hailey, Caleb, Angie, and Elijah!  She was very exciting about seeing her friends, as was I!  Tuesday afternoon we did nothing, and we had dinner with my dad and his girlfriend that evening!
Wednesday the plan was to go to Raleigh.  We were planning on surprising my grandmother with a visit from the kids, but after experiencing a LOT of pain in my back... I spent the morning in the emergency room.  NOT FUN!  We had a VERY low key afternoon and evening.
Thursday our plan was to go play with Cole at a friend's house, but sick babies prevented that play date from going as hoped.  We headed out to visit my in-laws after nap, and finished the evening off with a visit at Derik's cousin's house!
We packed up the car Friday morning, and headed up to visit my mom at work.  After everyone got to see the baby... we drove to my mom's house to drop off the "extra car"!  When mom got off work, we headed back to Richmond, and I have never been so excited to come back!
This trip made me realize that home is no longer Greensboro.  25 years of living there, and I now feel like a stranger there.  The time spent with my parents was much needed, and went very well!  However, I felt like Greensboro wasn't as excited to see us as we were to see them!
I took a drive by our old house, and cried sitting in the driveway.  We moved away 10 months ago, but it feels like we never really lived there.  The only memories that I am holding onto from that time in my life is bringing our first baby home from the hospital!  It was our first house, and we were so excited about buying it... and the last 10 months have made me regret this purchase.
Our friends have continued living and we are no longer a part of their story, and our family is busy living life as well.  I feel like I did a LOT of sitting on the couch this visit, and I could have just as easily done that at home!  I felt out of place, and trapped... and that makes me sad.  I guess I have to realize that our life is no longer in Greensboro... it's in Richmond.  I know it is possible to have roots & wings, I just never thought that it would feel like my roots have been "uprooted"!
I am not looking forward to my next visit to Greensboro, and I am not sure that I will make the trip again anytime soon.  4 days with 2 kids (including a newborn), no husband to help, no play room for Abbie, sick friends, and busy family... I am exhausted, and am so glad to be back home.

 - Jessica 

2 comments:

  1. I moved away almost 9 months ago and when I went back to Greensboro after just 4 months of being away I felt like a stranger somewhat as well. Your friends do go on living their lives. The best part about not being a part of your friends story while it is sad, you are writing more into your own families story. New memories will be made and life will go on! This is also very exciting!

    ReplyDelete